We moored up in the ‘upper basin’ at Stourport on Severn, surrounded by a wealth of canal history. Stourport itself is the first town to be created in conjunction with the development of a canal basin and it was in 1766 that parliament granted permission for the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal company to create a navigable Cut from the river Severn to the river Trent at Great Heywood. The area was of huge importance for the transport of goods and James Brindley devised a complex interlocking series of basins to allow for loading and unloading from the river to take inland and visa versa.
It must have been a busy and noisy place at its peek in the late 18th century. Now of course it has been sympatheticly rejuvenated for the likes of us to enjoy. We loved the design of the street lighting made to look like the wharfside cranes
We decide to take advantage of an electric hook up to charge the batteries and run the boat from shore power whilst we enjoy the view, thankful that someone had forgotten the clock, because it usually chimes every quarter hour.
Being a ‘port’ somehow connects Stourport to the sea and therefore it also enjoys all the trappings of a seaside town. Eg numerous fish and chip shops, amusement arcades and a funfare, it makes for a rather interesting place to be.
The town is essentially Georgian but the Victorians made the most of Stourport as well as we discovered when sending postcards in this Victorian letter box in wall of the excellent chandlery.